I had a great time talking with Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert on their web design podcast Shop Talk Show.
There was some great discussion about responsive design, including:
- This Is Responsive – what this project is attempting to do
- Large screen responsive design – how to handle larger screens like cinema displays, TVs and more.
- Responsive layouts vs adaptive layouts – we talk about the pros and cons of serving several fixed widths layouts across screens
- Dealing with grids for mobile-first design – we talk about the challenges of incorporating grids and layout when starting with far more linear mobile layouts
- Which units to use for breakpoints and type – I talk about the importance of using relative units for media queries and we talk about the pros and cons of using ems and rems
- What are some great web/mobile conferences to attend? – We talk about the upcoming In Control Conference and Breaking Development Conference and how awesome they are/are going to be.
- How to deliver ‘Opt Out Responsive Design?‘ experiences – we talk about why the use case is legit and some of the considerations for including a “view full site” link for responsive designs
- Conditional Loading – I got to talk about one of what I feel is one of the most important aspects of responsive design.
Chris and Dave are loads of fun and I had a blast chatting with them. If you have some free time, you should listen to the episode. Better yet, you should subscribe to hear all sorts of great episodes.